This turned out to be as easy as it sounds, although I haven’t tasted it yet, so I’ve no idea how hot it’ll be.
I’m planning to use this mostly as a finishing oil, so I used olive oil. If you were planning to cook with it, a more neutral oil might be better.
- 170ml Olive Oil
- 2 red chiles
- 2tsp ancho chili flakes
- 1tsp red chili flakes
- 1tsp jalapeno red chili flakes
I think this will be quite hot in retrospect.
- Warm the oil over a low heat in the pan
- Add the chili and continue to heat on a low-medium heat for about 4 minutes
- Turn the chiles regularly
- If the oil starts to bubble, remove from the heat for a few seconds
- Strain through a sieve, allow to cool and put into some sort of bottle
Barely visible is the chili that exploded midway through cooking.